Allow navigating through slides with up and down arrow keys in presentation mode
Because many slide navigation devices come mapped to the up and down arrows instead of the page up and page down keys, users who don't want to use the app to control slides often end up needing to research a lot in order to find a remote that will work for them.
I'm one of those people, only problem is when I got my remote it turns out that it isn't actually mapped to page up and page down. If there were a simple configuration for "Advance slide key" and "Previous slide key" that maybe offered a limited set of commonly used keys I believe it prevent this kind of pain from happening.
1) Export the full presentation ("Export ZIP" option);
2) Unpack the zip file
3) Open the index.html file for edition (in Notepad or other simple text editing software; do not use Word or other complex tool)
4) At the end of the file, find a "<script>" tag that contains the "Reveal.initialize" text
5) The "Reveal.initialize" is a call that contains many parameters, spanning many lines. This call ends at a line with "});"
6) After this "});", insert the following code below:
40: 'next', // down arrow key mapped to next slide
38: 'prev', // up arrow key mapped to previous slide
7) Save and close
8) Open index.html in Chrome or other browser, and test it.
Korvin Szanto commented
Today what I have to do to get around this is either:
A. Install some tool on my computer that will remap keys
Both of these are a real pain and require a power user to get it working.